Property Insurance

Answers to our most frequently asked questions about property insurance can be found below. Looking for something else? Check out our General Information FAQ, Powersports Insurance FAQ, Liability Insurance FAQ or Home-Auto Bundle Insurance FAQ.

What is property insurance?

Property insurance provides protection for Homeowners, Renters, Condos/Townhouses, Mobile Homes and Earthquakes.

Why do I need property insurance?

Property insurance is important because it provides protection against most risks to property, such as fire, theft and weather damage. Along with your property insurance policy you can purchase personal liability coverage for protection in the event an accident occurs on your property.

What type of protection do I need?

Your primary home should be covered under a standard HO-3 homeowner’s policy. A vacant, seasonal or owned home that is rented should be covered under a Dwelling Fire (DP) policy.

What factors influence property insurance premiums?

General factors that influence property insurance premiums include:

  • Age of Dwelling
  • Roof age and type
  • Construction type and class

What is homeowners insurance?

Homeowners insurance covers private residential property. The policy will combine coverage to losses occurring to one’s home and personal possessions, as well as liability insurance for liability to others.

What is renters insurance?

Renters insurance protects your personal property against loss and theft. Most landlord’s policies will only protect the home or apartment and property belonging to the landlord, which leaves your personal belongings at risk. Our Renters policy also provides liability protection should an injury occur in your rental structure.

What is condo insurance?

Condominium insurance will protect the portions of your unit that you own or are your responsibility to insure under your HOA agreement. You will also have liability protection for bodily injury or property damage.

What is mobile home insurance?

Mobile home insurance covers your mobile home and personal possessions within the unit. We will also offer liability coverage for accidents that may occur on or near the structure.

What is earthquake insurance?

Earthquake insurance is a separate type of property insurance that covers the dwelling in the event of an earthquake, along with the possessions inside. Earthquake damage is not covered under a standard homeowner’s policy.

What does my insurance cover?

There are many types of coverages and coverage options. Please review your policy contract with your insurance specialist for exact details for what your policy covers.

Are my valuables covered by my property insurance?

Your valuables are covered by your property insurance. In the event of a claim, you will need to provide information including the original purchase price, date of purchase, place of purchase, and have a record of all receipts or other supporting documents including operation manuals, personal photographs, warranty cards, service receipts and tags, credit card statements, cancelled checks, etc.

Do I need to take an inventory of my belongings?

Give a complete description of each item, including the following:

  • Type of item (i.e. television, toaster, vacuum cleaner, picture frame, etc.), detailing the size, color, attachments and accessories as applicable
  • List the brand name OR name of the Manufacturer (e.g., Sony, G.E., Eureka, etc.)
  • List the Model Number for the item and/or the serial number (if available)
  • Describe any damage if appropriate (e.g., stolen, smoke damage, water damage, etc.)

What does my property insurance not cover?

Please review your Exclusions on the policy contract with your insurance specialist.

Is there a limit on coverage for my belongings?

Yes, but these limits may vary depending on your policy and your choice of coverage limits. Please review with your insurance specialist.

What happens if someone gets injured on my property?

If someone gets injured on your property, your Liability insurance will provide protection for your liability for the injuries, subject to the coverages, exclusions and limits on your policy. Please review with your insurance provider for more details.

If my property gets damaged, will my policy cover my living expenses?

That depends on the coverage you purchased. Please review your contract with your insurance specialist.

What is the number for customer service?

For customer support, please call (800) 303-5000. Our Customer Service Representatives are available Monday-Friday, 6:30 AM to 5:30 PM (PST).

Let's Connect:

Find a local insurance specialist

Or call (800) 303-5000